Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Don't you want me to be happy?

Earlier today I was helping Nate with his math. He was having a difficult time paying attention and was whining. I told him he needed to be diligent. He said he didn't want to diligently work on math, he wanted to diligently watch TV. "Don't you want me to be happy, Mommy?" he sighed.

Do I want him to be happy? Sure, in the long run. But more importantly, I want him to be holy. I want him to learn to be disciplined and follow God. It may be uncomfortable and at times, even painful, to follow a path of sanctification, but in the end it will yield happiness. God designed us. Since He knows our innermost workings He knows what will ultimately give us joy. And that is being conformed to the image of His Son. Our temporal happiness is not God's biggest concern, and Nate's momentary desires are not my greatest concern. I am looking at Nate's future, just as God is looking at mine. I pray that He will help me to remember this when I am tempted to whine and ask, "Don't You want me to be happy, God?"

0 comments: